Monday, September 12, 2011

Running Part II

Just like any wonderful mother who wants to live vicariously through their children, I have high hopes for my own children becoming runners ... so much so that I have been caught going to extremes to encourage a love of running.  Many races in our area include a postrace "kids run" for children 2 years and older.  When my daughter was about 16 months old (and I was very pregnant with my son), I decided that the 4th of July kids race would be her big debut.  We lined up on the starting line - she had half a bagel in each hand and was much more interested in eating those than paying attention to what was going on around her.  As soon as the "race" started, she looked up at me and started crying.  All the other 2-3 year olds took off toward the finish line, only 50 yards away.  I tried slowly moving away from her to taunt her into following me. She just screamed.  She bent over holding both bagels on the ground and looked like she was practicing her track start.  But she remained stationary.  I finally picked her up from behind and carried her, waddling as quickly as I could, to the finish line.  She screamed the whole way but she got a ribbon.
Mom of the year ...



No comments:

Post a Comment