Friday, September 2, 2011

Why a blog?

I have learned a few things about "mothers" in my short time as a mother.  #1 - most of us feel inadequate but are doing the best we can.  #2 - it's really easy to laugh at each other's mistakes because we all know we've been there.  So with that in mind, I thought I'd share (or vent) some of my own shortcomings as they happen, mixed in with some historical events.  I should introduce myself more fully as a mother of 2 children - a 2 1/2 year old stubborn little girl who I adore and a 9 month old sweet but active little fellow who is going to keep me running.  I am also a full time doctor in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, which constantly reminds me of the blessings in my life.  Hope you will enjoy reading my stories but most importantly, I hope that my entertaining failures make you feel better about yourselves as mothers!

What better place to start than one of my most shining moments as a mother.  I was "post-call," meaning I had worked a 24 hour shift, and decided to keep the kids home with me to "play" instead of sleeping.  We played at the pool all morning but by nap time, I was spent.  As soon as I laid them down, I went to sleep in my own bedroom.  In retrospect, I suppose I should have kept the door open or set an alarm.  I woke up 3 1/2 hours later to both children screaming bloody murder.  I went to my daughter's room first, who has recently potty-trained.  She was crying "Mommy, I peed.  I peed on Lambie" (her lovey).  I then checked on my son who had been crying for so long, he was hyperventilating.  I don't think he stopped hyperventilating for at least an hour.

Mom of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment