Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dear Roy

I'm really tempted to write Roy Williams a letter and if I thought there were any chance he'd read it, it would go something like this.

Dear Roy,

I am sure in your line of work that you come across many young talented basketball players.  I have heard that there is even a trend to start recruitment as early as the middle school years for promising young players.  I am writing to inquire about the player development and recruitment opportunities that exist for the toddler age group.  My almost 2 year old son seems to have an unheard of affinity for basketball.  He currently sleeps with at least 3 basketballs and wakes up talking about basketball.  He screams "basketball" every time he sees either a ball or a goal and insists on playing if there is a court anywhere nearby (despite his significant height disadvantage on most courts).  He has also developed a love of watching and analyzing games either on TV or youtube.  Luckily, I found the NBA station on TV or we would not have survived the few months between the Olympics basketball games and the coming NCAA season.  I have made it through many a temper tantrum by searching "UNC basketball" on YouTube and playing it for him.  He immediately stops crying the second he says those Carolina blue boys shooting the ball.
As far as raw talent goes, I have no insight into how to judge what is normal vs child prodigy in the arena of toddler basketball.  That is why I am contacting you.  I am hoping you can connect him to someone who can develop him into the basketball player that he clearly desires to become.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any ulterior motives.  Sure, I'd love to have free tickets (in good seats) to all the games once he is officially recruited to be a Tarheel.  But the real reason for contacting you, of course, is my son's happiness.  Please let me know if you have any advice for us.
Go Heels!

Sincerely, 

Mom of the Year




No comments:

Post a Comment