Sunday, October 7, 2012

Win some, lose some

I am officially a soccer mom!  Sure, my daughter is only 3 but she started soccer this fall and I'm as excited about my new role as I am about her playing soccer.  Of course, I have a lot to learn.  For starters, I don't have a fold-up chair to bring to games.  I was the snack mom this week and had to scour the grocery store to find something "organic" and acceptable to other Chapel Hill moms.
Most importantly, I am trying to learn how to appropriately engage my daughter in the games.  For this weekend's game, she was particularly resistant to the idea of going onto the field, probably in part due to the fact that her grandparents and aunt came to watch.  I figured she was trying to soak up the attention of refusing to play so I decided to ignore her.  That didn't work very well since she kept trying to get my attention and I was starting to look like a negligent parent.  What better than sibling rivalry to spark an interest, I thought.  I took my daughter's jersey and put it on my almost 2 year old son, who was more than ecstatic about his new apparel.  I told her she could sit and watch the game and he would play for her.  Well, that was all it took and she was ready and rearing to go.  Of course, I had to force the shirt off my now very unhappy son so she could put it back on.  "My sock-ser shirt," my poor son kept crying.  My daughter ran out onto the field and played the rest of the game while my son cried on the sidelines.  You win some, you lose some.
Mom of the year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment